Check your edition:
If you have Windows 10 Pro edition installed you can ONLY use a Windows 10 Pro key. If you have Windows 10 Home edition installed, you can use a Home OR Pro key.
- Navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
- It will show the edition you have installed.
Make sure your Windows is up to date before attempting to activate.
- Navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
- If you’re on the latest version there will be a green tick and a message saying “You’re up to date”.
- If it says there is an update available, please do this before continuing to the next step.
Backup your data:
Make sure you have backed up any important data, the upgrade process usually goes very smooth however there is always a chance something could go wrong. It is good practice to backup your data before making any major system changes.
Activate Windows 10:
- Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
- Select Change product key, and then enter the 25-character product key.
- Select Next to start the activation.
Check your Windows activation:
To do this simply navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Activation. A message will say “Windows is activated” to signify your Windows activation is successful and genuine.
Troubleshooting Windows Activation Errors:
- Make sure that any outstanding Windows Updates have been completed and installed.
- Run the Windows Activation Troubleshooter on the Activation page.
- Restart your computer and retry activation.
- Use the toll-free automated phone activation service by clicking Activate by Phone on the Activation page. If you do not see this option, you can load it by typing into the Windows Search Bar SLUI 4 (must have a space before the 4), hit enter, it will first ask for your country/region, then follow the on-screen instructions.
If the above troubleshooting steps do not resolve your activation error please let us know.