Notice: If your computer is not yet running Windows 10, you need to update the OS to Windows 10 first. Entering a Windows 10 key into Windows 7 or 8.1 for example will not do this. Please use the following guide to install Windows 10.
- Update Windows
Make sure your Windows is up to date before attempting to activate:
Navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
If you’re on the latest version there will be a green tick and a message saying “You’re up to date”.
If it says there is an update available, please do this before continuing to the next step.
- Activate Windows 10
Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
Select Change product key, and then enter the 25-character product key.
Select Next to start the activation.
- Check Activation
Navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
A message will say “Windows is activated” to signify your Windows activation is successful and genuine.
Troubleshooting Windows Activation Errors:
Windows can present an error during activation for a wide range of reasons, we recommend running through the general troubleshooting steps below in order. They resolve the large majority of errors quickly and easily.
- Make sure your device is connected to the internet and that the system date and time is set correctly for your timezone.
- Check Windows Update for any outstanding updates, install and complete any outstanding updates so Windows is fully updated.
- Restart your computer and retry activation.
- Run the Windows Activation Troubleshooter on the Activation page.
- Use the toll-free automated phone activation service by clicking Activate by Phone on the Activation page. If you do not see this option, you can load it by typing into the Windows Search Bar SLUI 4, hit enter and it will first ask for your country/region, then follow the on-screen instructions.