How to get rid of the “Activate Windows” messageVevo Digital
The “Activate Windows” message which is permanently in the bottom right hand corner of your screen signifies that Windows has not been activated on your machine. To do this you need a genuine Windows key to activate Windows which removes the message and unlocks all available features within Windows.
Activation helps verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and hasn’t been used on more devices than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow.
Check your edition: If you have Windows 10 Pro edition installed you cannot use a Windows 10 Home key, you will require a Windows 10 Pro key.
- To check simply navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
- It will show the edition you have installed on this screen.
Update Windows: You need to make sure your version of Windows is up to date before attempting to activate, to to check this follow the below steps.
- Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
- If you’re on the latest version there will be a green tick and a message saying “You’re up to date”.
- If it says there is an update available, please do this before continuing to the next step.
Backup your data: Make sure you have backed up any important data, the upgrade process usually goes very smooth, however there is always a chance something could go wrong. It is good practice to backup your data before making any major system changes.
Activate Windows 10:
- Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
- Select Change product key, and then enter the 25-character product key.
- Select Next to start the activation.
Check your Windows activation: To do this simply navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Activation. A message will say “Windows is activated” to signify your Windows activation is successful and genuine.
Troubleshooting: There’s a myriad of simple issues that can cause an activation not to be successful, the two most common are from the steps at the start of this guide, namely Windows not being up to date or having the wrong version installed so please make sure you check both of these as a first port of call. If neither of those are an issue, it’s recommended to try the Activation Troubleshooter on the activation page to see if Windows can remedy the situation itself.
Buy a genuine Windows 10 key
If you do not already have a genuine Windows 10 key to activate with, you can go to our Windows 10 page by clicking on the banner to buy one.
We offer both retail product keys suitable for activating Windows as shown in the above guide, as well as OEM activation keys suitable only for fresh installs of Windows.